Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Christmas Gifts and Fanart




Minion Lesson: Vampire 101 by Krystal Watters
 I made some acrylic paintings on canvas board as gifts for my sister's friends. Each one I was given the general theme of the painting and then I created the composition and finalized the look. Now to be clear, no I do not own the copyright to Minions from 'Despicable Me' or Ariel from 'The Little Mermaid'. It belongs to their respected owners which are in part Universal Studios, Illumination Entertainment, Disney, and all others who put work into it.

So the painting to the left, I was told Minion dressed in a vampire costume. From there I thought of what minions would do as a vampire. One idea that came up with him attempting to fly, which then gave me the idea to have the dog. It works both as a recklessness of the minion and vicious nature of the dog.

The full moon and roof just became a good and natural setting for this. I had a lot of fun realizing how much my painting technique has change over the years. I've always sketch with paint on the canvas, but never did I pick random or bright colors usually I would go with a burnt sienna or a subtle color such as ultramarine blue. Instead I picked like bright reds, purples and bright blues such as phthalo blue. It was a great experience to see my confidence and the fun in having like a red under a blue sky or a blue under a yellow minion. So both paintings had a higher than usual layering of colors.


thumbnail of minion by Krystal Watters
thumbnail of Ariel by Krystal Watters

 I did create the initial rough thumbnail idea in Mischief for my sister's approval before I proceeded on, which you can see below. The other painting is the focus of Ariel on the coast; it also had the requirement of something to represent Belle from 'Beauty and the Beast'. I gave some different ideas such like yellow earrings Belle has, shell with a rose imprint, and the one that was chosen, the mirror from Beauty and the Beast.
Ariel: Treasures of the Sea by Krystal Watters

So I created Ariel having lots of fun with reflective color hints in the water, fin, shells, etc. It originally didn't have the seagulls in the sky, but that changed after I sent a picture to my sister who mentioned the sky seemed too empty. Which is why it's good to get a fresh perspective either by walking away from the painting or getting someone else to look into it.

Hope you enjoy looking at these fan works. Sidenote: Sorry on the day late. I forgot that I hadn't scheduled it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment