Thursday, February 19, 2015

Wine & Design and Humanae



Wine and Design Love by Krystal Watters
The painting to the right is one I design as a causal artsy word painting. A lot of people like to paint words for decoration. I had several inspirations in creating this one. Celtic art, illuminated letters, and spring and love related themes. It is always a balance between my vision and making sure that it can be painted in 2 hour time frame.

In general capital letters are more well define and different therefore easier to recognize and balance in design. Lowercase varies too much in size of how much space it takes. This comes with some studying of graphic design or at least typography. I do recommend all artist to study the basics of typography.

By the way, sorry this is a bit late with the storm on the East coast it has caused some internet problems and caused extra demands. So I've added some practice images below done in Mischief. I've been working on improving my skills of painting a variety of faces. This should increase my visual memory so when I design characters they'll become more unique and varied. You can click on the photo to go see that image on Mischief. I will post more of these practices in future blog posts.

The source I'm using to practice is the images from the Tumblr page, Humanae.  All photos are taken by Angelica Dass who is working on creating a chromatic inventory of human skin tones using the PATONE color schemes. It is a great reference and a great reminder of how varied our features and skin tones are. So you can randomly pick one as practice. Hope you enjoy these.
practice female face by Krystal Watters

No comments:

Post a Comment