Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Corel Painter Crash Saves

I know it's been a problem to many people including myself. We all know as great as Corel Painter is; it has a bad tendency to crash. Then it would of course save your work as a painter file, which when you tried to open in Painter will claim to have a memory problem: Mine usually stated, does not have enough visual memory for this action. This of course is a bogus, but won't changed the fact all that work is lost in that saved file. The only solution in the past is always save multiple times, but we all forget at times.

Well, not anymore. I discovered that GIMP, a free program similar to Photoshop, can open painter files and save it in Photoshop format without any trouble. I discovered this after losing an hour's work and happened to have downloaded this program recently to try out for fun. I decided to see if it would open the file and it did. I tested it several times and every time without trouble it opened the Painter file and allowed me to save as a Photoshop file that would open just fine in Painter. It is amazing and worth it; don't worry about lost files due to painter crashing ever again. ((To the left is their logo, all rights of that image belongs to them))

For those who don't know where Corel Painter puts the recovery file, check your Document files and look for a folder called, "Recovered". Inside will be the random recovery file saves from when Corel Painter crashes. All you have to do is open the file in GIMP, and save it in PSD file or whatever format you regularly use (as long as it isn't a painter file anymore it should work).

Hope this helps people as it did me. If you have any questions about this feel free to leave a comment and I'll get to you as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment